BA in Photographic Media Validation HETAC Framework Level Level 7 Degree CAO Code GC 470 Requirements AQA / 5OD3s to include a language Duration 3 years full-time or part-time Apply Through the CAO or directly at www.gcd.ie/apply
This visual media industry is currently in rapid change and progression. Elements like DTP and the world wide web have created a pressing need for highly trained visual arts professionals with a high level of new skills and creative artistic and communications talent.
Griffith College's Faculty of Journalism and Media has over eight years' experience in providing industry standard photographic training. The delivery of award winning courses has gained us an enviable reputation in the Irish photographic industry. Former students are now working in the field in all spheres of photographic practice and we have long enjoyed the support of our colleagues in the Irish professional Photographers' Association. In addition, Griffith students have won seven of the eight photographic awards in the national student Media competitions between 2005 and 2007.
This BA Degree course is offered on a three year full-time basis or on a part-time basis, the first time this level of study has been offered in this format in Ireland. The emphasis of our course is on commercial photography; a professional approach allied to analytical skills and creative judgment. Our graduates will be highly skilled and experienced, capable of adding to the visual arts media in Ireland and abroad. On completion of this course graduates will be versed in the skills necessary for further study at even higher levels.
Year 1: Learning Year 2: Consolidation Year 3: Application SEMESTER ONE SEMESTER ONE SEMESTER ONE Photographic Techniques Photo-essay/Editorial Photography The Business of Photography Practical Photography Media Law and Ethics The Politics of the Image Ways of Seeing Layout and Graphic Design Elective Specialism Research and Writing Skills Professional Development • Video Production
• Large format Photography
• Action Photography
• People Photography
SEMESTER TWO SEMESTER TWO SEMESTER TWO Applied Photography Commercial Photography Final Photographic Project (double credit) Photographic Theory Media History Professional Practice Digital Photography Web Design History of Art and Photography Structured Photo Project
Further study is an option for students who successfully complete this course; the logical progression is to take the final year of the BA (Hons) in Journalism and Visual Media.
Fill out the application form here.
Send a copy of your degree, CV and a copy of your photo ID by email .
Our Admissions Team will endeavour to contact you within 10 working days if you are successful in gaining a place.
Proceed to register to the course & cover your fees online or by bank draft
Come to the Induction week & meet new friends... it's time to start your future
For Undergraduate courses:
- Full-time Applicants under 23 years of age should apply through CAO.
- Mature applicants for full-time or part-time courses and applicants under 23 years of age for part-time courses should apply directly to Griffith College.
- International applicants should also apply directly.
- For further information on the correct application procedure for you, please contact the Admissions Office for more details.
For Postgraduate courses:
- Postgraduate applicants may apply directly to Griffith College before 31st August each year. Applicants will be required to provide evidence of their undergraduate degree final results for entry. Griffith College welcomes applications from those who do not meet the academic requirements but who have extensive industry experience. For such applications, an additional interview will be required. Contact the Admissions Office for more details.